Anxiety is a normal part of life. But we need to cope with it better.
Various treatment options are available to help individuals manage and alleviate their anxiety symptoms. These may include therapy, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which helps individuals identify and change negative thought patterns and behaviors. Medications can also be prescribed by healthcare professionals to assist in reducing anxiety symptoms.
Consult Top Psychologists In Kolkata
Symptoms of Anxiety
Anxiety is a normal part of people’s lives, although an uneasy one; it’s the state of worry you have before getting up on stage, or before an interview, or when you’re worried about how your child is doing away from you. But in excess, it can cause reactions psychologically, and physically. Let us get into the subject immediately.
Anxiety can be classified into a broad spectrum of disorders. They are:
Generalized Anxiety disorder: Also known as free floating anxiety, does not stem from any one cause or trigger. It can be caused due to excessive worry or fear about any day to day task or event.
Social anxiety disorder: This causes people, who otherwise want to be social, to feel restricted in their interactions in social environments. This can be a fear of intimacy, stage fright, interacting in groups, or even a rare disorder like Selective mutism, which was the butt of many jokes in the once popular sitcom, The Big Bang Theory.
Panic disorder: This comes out of the blue or due to sudden triggers and reaches a peak within 10 minutes or so and then gradually subsides. This is indicated by shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness and can happen anywhere and anytime, when one is at home, or out on the streets, or at their workplace.
As to the factors for triggering Anxiety, they can be any number of things and should ideally be properly discovered through the course of therapy between the anxiety counsellor and the individual.
Our Approach To Stress Management
Life can be a struggle and is full of situations that test human strength and perseverance. People may be going through a difficult time at work, or having trouble with their partner, they may not be doing well in their studies and may be dealing with the loss of a loved one. There’s a saying that goes, “Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times…” It goes to show that we must rise above the stressful times we are all facing.
People have different coping mechanisms to deal with stress; some listen to music, some isolate themselves, some talk with themselves or with someone they trust, some take a break from work or go on holiday. All of these are methods that help to a certain degree. However, to truly be a master of your stress response, it is always best to reach out to a Therapist that can help.
- Before a systemic approach is made, one process is always essential: a detailed case history.
- Depending on the intensity of anxiety you’re going through, you may be experiencing disturbed sleep or changes in appetite. The Therapist’s priority would be to address those with relaxation techniques, and they may suggest some practical tasks you can perform that will help you ground yourself in the present moment.
- Once your counsellor has helped you to gain some amount of control over your anxiety in the short term, work will begin on assessing the triggers that cause anxiety and then using techniques like Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, try to change unhealthy or irrational thought and action patterns, or Mindfulness based therapy to control your reaction to stressful situations
- The fact remains that therapy cannot remove the triggers causing anxiety in your life, but can equip you to be better at facing them and not have the same negative, unhealthy reactions to them.
- Your therapist might make suggestions for certain lifestyle modifications that usually help in managing anxiety in the medium and long term.
- If your anxiety counsellor feels that you need medication for your anxiety disorder, they will recommend that you speak to a Psychiatrist.
It is best not to wait till things get from bad to worse before seeking help. If you are suffering from Anxiety for a prolonged period of time, reach out to us today.